Saturday, September 19, 2009

Allen & Walters

Fons & Porter can move on over....Allen & Walters...have begun....giggles... Geri (my youngest daughter) had brought me a picture of a purse she wanted...along with the fabric she wanted it made from...Now my Grandma may have made things by looking at the Sears & Roebuck Catalog but not me....
Sherry came over today and with her guiding me every inch of the way...We made our own pattern...pictured above is the front view, next is the side view, and last the back...The picture of the purse given us showed it tapered at the top....no pockets we could see...really not a good picture... Oh, lets begin.....we created our front and back...sides and bottom...how about some pockets outside?...and maybe some piping?....we discussed....next we cut out the lining pieces.....pockets inside of course...okay how we going to taper?....lets try cutting, tapering from bottom to top ...one inch....pinning together....looking at.....another inch....pinning again....till we liked what we saw...same to lining....Bottom on first or sides?....mark 1/2 inch start and stop spots....Hey this works....Sherry writing, erasing on paper as we progressed....Yes, we have it on paper and with drawings.......All we need is a name.....:0)
This meant so much to me...while my family is going through a bump in the road....it is so nice to have a day of being preoccupied with a dear friend to share the day with...to experience a challenge never before undertaken of making a purse with no pattern...creating our own... Chattering back and forth.....ideas flowing...ahhhh

There was ripping out involved for me...:0) With Sherry around checking your work.....that won't surprise anyone....of course when I sewed a piece that didn't even belong.....well....But it was worth ever stitch I removed....

I am just wonder if the Elder had any idea (so many years ago) when she was mentoring Sherry by teaching her to sew....How her gift of teaching was going to bring pleasure to so many..."it is just fabric not brain surgery" was heard being whispered in our ears by that Inter Elder Voice that follows us all around...:0)

Thanks Sherry and Jody...you made my day...The Ol'Blogger

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your purse is stunning,everyone
will want one. You both always
had all that talent in you, you just needed permission to screw up once in a while. My screw-ups just
hit the trash bin. What fun!
Allen & Walters I'm so proud of
you and the work you do.

Love you both, The Elder

Anonymous said...

Ole Blogger, when you're describing the thought process in creating this piece, it reminds me of the scene from "Cinderella" there the Fairy Godmother is creating the dress for the ball...Allen & Walters, you are both amazing...love, K