Monday, October 13, 2008

Snow Wonder



Snow Wonder
***************************************************************************************

Kathy's quilt is the one I am showing and talking about today. She felted her snowmen. FELTING is an age-old craft. Which is odd to me because even as old as I am I had never heard of it till the girls introduced me to it:<).... Basically, this is using felting needles to push the top layers of wool into a deeper layer .. it is felting without soap or water.

I emailed Kathy a few questions about her quilt and here are her answers.... First I asked how did you make the silver stars?...."The silver stars are foiled…(no, not with aluminum foil, but that’s what it looks like). The foil comes in lots of colors, on sheets of a kind of plastic. There is foil glue you put down, then, when dry, you rub the foil sheets over the glue and voila!! A foiled star, or whatever". Now isn't this neat... we have learned something new..or anyway I did.

Then I asked what is the wispy under the snowmen...."The wispy stuff under the snowmen is the angora wool that Sherry got for us last year at the Fiber Show at Corydon. I just took little wisps and felted them on, just to give the snowmen something to stand on".

The quilting was done by machine. The background is snow covered trees. Lots of sparkle and being very playful just add to this winter scene. Kathy's work always blows our mind...
This quilt is not for sale...

No comments: