Friday, June 26, 2009

A Trip Down Memory Lane

For a special treat we are going to take a trip down memory lane...Sherry at the advice from Jody had started a Keepsakes Memories Book...She did a few pages then it has laid by the wayside...I asked her today when she started quilting and one thing let to another..She remember this book and began sharing with me...I got it from her and am going to share from it....It has become an UFO as she hasn't kept it up but will get back to it I am sure now...
Sherry speaking " I started my first quilt July 27,1996..The name of this quilt is "Ocean Waves". The pattern came from Big Block Quilts magazine 1996 edition, and was created by Debby Kratovil.
I chose this pattern because I liked all the bright colors...The blues, greens, hot pink, orange,turquoise, and purple, all set against a black background..I bought the material (remember she has just started quilting so its not fabric yet..hehehe) at Wal Mart in Bedford, In. for $1.87 a yard and I bought 7 1/2 yards for the top. The backing and batting were bought at Craft Town in Salem, In. The backing was $4.98 a yard and I got 6 yards and the batting was $12.25 for Queen size. On Sept.7 1996 Jody and Jackie taught me how to baste the three layers together. We used a room in the basement of the Bedford Public Library. We taped the backing with masking tape to three long tables that had been pushed together, laid batting on top and then the quilt top, and pinned all three layers together. Jody showed me how to baste using a sugar spoon. Jackie taught me how to make a quilters knot...What great friends they are.. It took us three hours...I started hand quilting my quilt together that night and trying to learn to use my thimble..How awkward I am...I'm also using a Lap Hoop to hold my quilt...I changed from my lap hoop to a quilting frame I have borrowed from my Mother-In-Law Dolly. I found I like the quilting frame best for this project..I finished this quilt in February 1997 and presented to Starr Anna my Daughter..Now on to other quilts I have already started...
The Ol'Blogger here....The only details she left out in this journaling was the weather for the day :0)...I hope you enjoy this as much as I have....How precious this is...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope that Starr really appreciates that beautiful quilt! Someday I hope the girls/grandkids enjoy reading your journal. We should all keep one! (even though I haven't been doing that either :-(
Cindy